How Does Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Work In Ontario?
Motorcycle insurance works similar to car insurance. Motorcycle insurance is mandatory coverage in Ontario. All riders must have a minimum amount of coverage. The main difference is insurers often require riders to have higher limits. Why? Motorcycle riders are considered more dangerous and there is a greater risk for injury and death.
Mandatory Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
Motorcycle insurance gives riders protection in the event of a loss. Loss can be a result of an accident, theft, vandalism, damage, and more. It includes three types of mandatory coverage in a policy :
Riders have the option of adding optional coverage to their policy. You have a variety of options to increase your limits for more protection.
Types Of Motorcycle Insurance Policies
There are a few different ways you can get a motorcycle insurance policy :
- A standalone policy
- Adding coverage to your current vehicle policy
- Combine your motorcycle coverage with another type of policy
What Motorcycle Insurance Discounts Are Available?
Riders can qualify for policy discounts to lower premiums. Here are some of the common discounts offered by insurers :
- Bundling with home and auto insurance
- Completing rider training courses
- Insuring multiple vehicles
- Installing an anti-theft device
- Loyal customer
- Staying claims free
Is Insurance The Same For All Types Of Motorcycles?
Like cars, there are many different types of motorcycles. The type you ride will have an impact on your motorcycle insurance. Some are cheaper to insure than others. Therefore, choosing a less sporty motorcycle is important if you want to have low cost insurance.
Some of the most common types of motorcycles we insure include :
- Standard street bikes : These are your general purpose motorcycles that you commonly see on city streets. They are also referred to as naked bikes or roadsters.
- Cruisers : When you think cruisers, you think Harley Davidson and choppers.
- Touring bikes : These motorcycles are for long distance trips. They have large fuel tanks, storage compartments and are more comfortable to ride.
- Tricycle motorbikes : These bikes, which have been gaining in popularity, are safer to drive because they have three wheels. The two back wheels provide added support and stability, making them easier to drive.