Car Insurance Alberta - Compare Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes
You Could Save $500 Or More On Alberta Car Insurance!
Shopping for car insurance in Alberta? ThinkInsure can help you compare auto insurance quotes from the top Alberta insurance companies.
Quickly compare quotes online or call a friendly broker and they will help you save.
Our experienced brokers provide unbiased advice and will get you personalized coverage for your needs. So you'll get the best car insurance rates for your insurance needs.
Why Get Alberta Auto Insurance Coverage With ThinkInsure?
Auto insurance in Alberta doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Our brokers simplify the insurance quote process for you. Provide us with your information. We’ll quickly handle the rest. The result : Cheap insurance rates and savings .
Reasons to compare car insurance quotes with a ThinkInsure Alberta licensed insurance brokers :
- We can help you save money : Our goal is to help you save money on car insurance coverage. Who doesn’t love cheap car insurance, right?
- Quickly compare insurance quotes : We know your time is important. It only takes a few minutes to do a quote. We’ll compare insurance quotes for you to get you the best price.
- Get the cheapest car insurance rates : Get access to the cheapest car insurance rates for Alberta drivers.
- Expert auto insurance saving and coverage advice : Our Alberta insurance brokers are licensed and trained. We provide you with recommendations for insurance products that match your personal needs.
- Experience the broker advantage : We work for you, not the insurance companies. Our Alberta car insurance brokers help you get the best rates and coverage.
Contact A ThinkInsure For A Car Insurance Quote In Alberta
How much is car insurance in Alberta? Find out for sure. Get a quote for car insurance from ThinkInsure. We are experts in helping drivers get the lowest rates on their insurance.
Compare Alberta car insurance quotes by calling us at 1-855-550-5515 OR click and compare quotes online. Start saving today!
How Can I Get Cheap Auto Insurance In Alberta?
There are a number of ways you can get cheap car insurance in Alberta. They include :
- Use a car insurance broker
- Compare auto insurance quotes
- Maintain a clean driving record
- Have the right amount of insurance coverage
- Pay your auto insurance premiums in full
- Bundle home and auto insurance with the same insurance company
- Speak with your insurance company about car insurance discounts
- Get a quote each time your policy is available for renewal
Types Of Alberta Car Insurance Coverage
We do more than traditional car insurance coverage. Our brokers can get you Alberta car insurance quotes for all types of coverage. Our insurance products for Alberta drivers include :
- Classic Car Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Recreational Vehicle Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
Car Insurance Coverage For All Types Of Alberta Drivers
We understand there are many different types of drivers with different insurance needs. We work with the leading auto insurance companies so we can help you get the best coverage and rates.
- Young Drivers
- Over 50 Drivers
- New Drivers
- Uber Drivers
- Usage Based Insurance
Savings Tip - Call UsCall to get additional car insurance discounts and expert savings advice. A quick call could save you a lot more!
How Are Auto Insurance Rates In Alberta Determined?
Here are common factors used by Alberta car insurance companies to determine insurance rates :
- Driving experience : In general, the longer you’ve had your driver’s license, the lower your insurance rates.
- Type of vehicle you drive : Some vehicles are more expensive to insure than others.
- Number of drivers on your insurance policy : Adding a secondary driver or occasional driver will increase your auto insurance rates.
- Age and gender : These are both used by insurance companies when determining insurance costs.
- Your location : Whether you live in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge or other Alberta cities will impact your rates.
- Coverage limits : Additional insurance coverage will increase your insurance premium.
- Vehicle use : What your vehicle is used for and how often you drive will impact the cost to insure a car in Alberta.
How Does Car Insurance Work In Alberta?
Insuring a car in Alberta is different than in other provinces in Canada. Under the Alberta Insurance Act, Alberta car insurance laws require you to purchase a mandatory amount of coverage. Additional insurance coverage can be purchased from a licensed insurance provider.
Is There Mandatory Auto Insurance Coverage In Alberta?
In Alberta, you must meet the minimum requirement for auto insurance :
- 200,000 in third-party liability insurance
- Any coverage above and beyond this is considered optional
- The majority (98%) of Alberta drivers are insured for at least $1,000,000
You will not be able to register your vehicle or drive without this coverage. Your insurance rates for the minimum coverage are determined using the grid rating program.
What Is The Grid Rating Program In Alberta?
The grid rating system was introduced by the Government of Alberta in 2004. It was created to regulate car insurance rates in the province. The system sets a maximum rate that is charged for basic coverage - mandatory third party liability and accident benefits coverage.
How Does The Grid Rating System Work?
Alberta insurance companies are required to compare a driver’s car insurance premium (as determined by their fee system) to the driver’s premium as calculated by the grid rating system. Insurers must charge the lesser premium of the two calculations.
Where a driver lands on the grid depends on many common factors – experience, driving record, driving school certification, age. As your driving record improves, your insurance rates will go down (you will move down the grid).
- The grid applies only to basic car insurance coverage premiums
- The vast majority of drivers (94%) do not pay grid premiums
- Drivers with little or no experience are often capped by the grid rate system
Learn more about the grid rate system on the Automobile Insurance Rate Board (AIRB) website.
Even with the premium grid, you should still get insurance quotes in Alberta to get the best car insurance rates for additional coverage.
Compare Alberta car insurance quotes by calling us at 1-855-550-5515 OR click and compare quotes online. Start saving today!
Top Alberta Auto Insurance FAQs
In the quest to get the cheapest car insurance premiums in Alberta, our customers ask a lot of questions! Here are the top Alberta car insurance questions we get asked on a regular basis :
Who Regulates Auto Insurance Rates In Alberta?
Car insurance rates in Alberta are regulated by the provincial government. However, rates are overseen by the Automobile Insurance Rate Board and the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance.
What Factors Determine Auto Insurance Premiums In Alberta?
Alberta insurance companies use a variety of factors to set car insurance premiums for optional coverage. Insurance costs vary from one driver to another based on :
- Age, gender, marital status
- Experience and years as a licensed driver
- Type of insurance coverage
- Number of drivers on the insurance policy
- Type of vehicle, vehicle use, distance driven
- Driving record, at-fault accidents
- Driver training
- Insurance coverage gaps, lapse in insurance coverage
- Car insurance discounts
How Do Alberta Auto Insurance Rates Compare To Other Provinces?
Auto insurance premiums are higher than in most provinces in Canada. Based on the 2017 Ontario Ministry of Finance report : Fair Benefits Fairly Delivered : A Review of the Auto Insurance System in Ontario , only Ontario and British Columbia have higher insurance premiums, on average.
How Much Does It Cost To Insure A Car In Alberta?
The cost to insure a car in Alberta varies based on many factors. It depends on your grid level, whether you get additional insurance, and how much extra coverage you add to your insurance policy.
What Is The Average Cost Of Car Insurance In Alberta?
The average cost of auto insurance in Alberta is approximately $1179 per year. However, rates in the province for mandatory insurance coverage are on the rise.
How Much Is Car Insurance In Alberta Per Month?
Based on the annual cost of car insurance in Alberta, the cost for car insurance is about $98 per month.
How Much Is Car Insurance In Alberta For New Drivers?
Insurance for new drivers in Alberta is more expensive than the average car insurance rates. Less experienced drivers are often capped by the grid rate calculator. As new drivers gain experience and maintain a clean driving record, their premiums will decrease over time.
What's The Minimum Requirement For Auto Insurance In Alberta?
By law, you are required to have a minimum of $200,000 in third party liability coverage for your vehicle.
What Does PLPD Cover In Alberta?
PLPD, Public Liability and Property Damage, provides coverage for injuries and damage to another person or their property. Drivers in Alberta often purchase additional PLPD coverage that is above and beyond the mandatory minimum requirement.
Does Alberta Have No-Fault Insurance?
Yes. The province of Alberta uses a no-fault auto insurance system. No-fault insurance does not mean no one is at fault for an accident. It means your insurance company will cover the cost of your damage no matter who is found to be at fault for the accident.
I Am Switching Auto Insurance From Ontario To Alberta. What Do I Need To Know?
If you are moving from Ontario to Alberta, you are required to switch to an Alberta insurance provider. To do this, you will need to obtain an Alberta driver’s license and registration within 90 days of moving to the province. Bring a copy of your driving record from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation to help lower your insurance rates.
What Is The All Comers Rule?
The all comers rule ensures all drivers in Alberta qualify for mandatory automobile insurance coverage. Under the Alberta insurance laws, insurance companies cannot refuse third party liability and accident benefits coverage to new drivers or current policyholders. However, there are some exceptions to the rule where coverage can be denied.
What Documentation Do You Need To Purchase Auto Insurance In Alberta?
To purchase car insurance in Alberta, you will need to provide brokers or insurers with the bill of sale or lease agreement for the vehicle, the driver’s license and date of birth of all drivers you want to include on the policy and a driver training certificate for new drivers. Additional information may be required.
Save By Using An Alberta Car Insurance Calculator
The grid rating system is not the only car insurance calculator Alberta drivers can use to compare rates. A car insurance calculator can help you compare optional insurance coverage options, get a better understanding of insurance costs, and see what the market has to offer.
Our brokers can help you calculate rates and compare your insurance options.
Compare Coverage From The Top Alberta Auto Insurance Companies
Our team of insurance experts can get car insurance quotes from the best insurers in Alberta. Our brokers will help you compare rates from Alberta's leading auto insurance companies, including Aviva, Economical, Intact, Wawanesa, RSA, Travelers, and more!
Check out our extensive list of insurance company partners.
Tips To Save On Alberta Insurance And Get The Cheapest Rates
One thing all Alberta drivers have in common is the desire to get the cheapest car insurance rates. Here are some great tips to help you save :
- Use a broker to compare options : Brokers can help you compare rates from multiple insurers.
- Bundle coverage : Bundle all vehicles and home insurance coverage with one insurer.
- Take advantage of insurance discounts : Speak with your insurer about discounts to lower your insurance premium.
- Increase your deductible : Increasing your deductible will lower your insurance premiums.
- Get an annual quote : The AIRB approves insurance rate changes frequently. Compare quotes each time your policy is up for renewal.
Why ThinkInsure Is A Top Alberta Insurance Provider
Our Alberta insurance experts are dedicated to helping drivers save money on optional car insurance coverage. We proudly serve all of Alberta and offer a full selection of additional home and business insurance products to complement our auto insurance products.
ThinkInsure customers get :
- Cheap rates : We’ll help you get the cheapest insurance in Alberta.
- One stop shopping : We are your one stop shop for all your insurance needs.
- Selection : We offer vehicle insurance for all types of cars and trucks.
- Expert advice : We provide unbiased advice that will help you save money.
- Personal service : We provide the personalized customer service you expect and deserve as a valued customer!
Alberta Car Insurance News And Blog
ThinkInsure takes pride in helping people save on their car insurance and keeping our roadways safer for everyone. We update our site regularly with information and tips on insurance savings, driving safety, news and much more for Alberta drivers.
May 31, 2018: Is it car insurance renewal time? Learn about how to renew car insurance, things to consider, tips to get the best rates, and answers to common questions about the insurance renewal process.
Apr 13, 2018: Need to insure a car in Alberta? There are many types of car insurance coverage to consider. Some are mandatory, while other types of coverage are optional. Here we outline the types of required and additional auto insurance coverage options for Alberta drivers.
Car Insurance For ALL Types Of Alberta Drivers
There are many different types of drivers in Alberta who need different types of auto insurance. With our large selection of insurance companies we can get drivers the coverage they need at the lowest rates.
Car Insurance Quotes By Province And City
We are a licensed Alberta and Ontario car insurance broker. So if you are an Alberta or Ontario driver we can get you coverage. Since we work with so many insurance companies you'll be able to compare mutliple quotes for your region and get the lowest rate.
Need A Car Insurance Quote In Alberta? Contact Us!
If you want the cheapest car insurance rates, you are in the right place. Get an online quote today and work with our Alberta brokers to compare your car insurance options.