Types Of Classic Car Insurance
There are many types classic car insurance you can get based on your vehicle age, type and if it is a collector car. Here are the main types :
Antique Car Insurance
How do you define an antique car or a classic stock vehicle? Essentially, if it was built from 1900 to 1972, it likely fits the bill. You will want to get antique car insurance if this is the case for you.
Insurance For Mid-'70s and '80s Vehicles
Some people will suggest that if a vehicle is 20 or 25 years old, it is automatically a classic. Just as people believe that any piece of furniture or art over 50 years old is automatically an antique. This isn't quite true for vehicles, and there's good reason for it.
As automakers' production numbers grew significantly in the mid-'70s, quality standards fell. This had an effect on which vehicles are collectibles. Some mid-'70s and '80s vehicles are not collectibles. Not many 4-door sedans from the mid-'70s and '80s are collectible. There are a great deal of vehicles that are collectible. They reflect one or more of the following characteristics :
- 2-door sports cars
- Unique body shapes
- Big block V8 engines
- Muscle cars
Collector Car Insurance For Newer Vehicles
Some cars are instant classics and attract loyal followings that help make them collectibles. For example, if these cars are made by Ferrari or Lamborghini. Limited production vehicles - such as the Dodge Viper or Plymouth Prowler are collectibles.
Eligible model years are vehicles 15 years old or older. Vehicles 0-14 years old can still be eligible.
Helping define exotic vehicles are characteristics such as cutting-edge design, technology or performance - as well as production numbers. Generally, exotic vehicles have annual production numbers of 3,000 or less.
Special interest vehicles have rare features or have special edition packages that avid hobbyists consider collectible. Depending on their use, some contemporary vehicles may qualify for less expensive collector car insurance that offers the proper protection.
Classic Car Insurance For Other Types Of Vehicles
There are a whole host of other categories of vehicles that are precious and need protecting. Here are a few we can help with :
- Modified vehicles, including street rods, replicas and lowriders : If, for example, the paint job on your vehicle cost more than $10,000, it would fit into this category.
- Trucks and other utility vehicles : These collectibles are gaining in popularity. To qualify for this they can no longer be used for such purposes as hauling or towing.
- Retired work vehicles : Old and pampered fire trucks and buses and tow trucks and such. As a classic and large vehicle, appropriate use and proper storage are key concerns.
- Vehicles with a restoration in progress : With these soon-to-be-shining specimens, good photographs and restoration details are vital.
- Military vehicles : Requirements include being from 1985 or older. They need not be used off-road or in battle re-enactments. Armaments need to be removed or disabled.
- Tractors : They must be 1980 or older, restored or in excellent original condition, garaged, and no utility use.