Skip to main content

Car Insurance FAQs

Car Insurance Questions And Answers

If you lend your car, you are also lending out your car insurance. If anything happens, your friend will be covered under your insurance if they have a valid driver's license and meet the other conditions of your policy.

Where you live is one factor that affects the cost of your premium. Drivers who live in a city generally pay higher premiums than those who live in the suburbs, reason being more traffic on the roads increases the risk of accidents.

If you recently purchased a vehicle that is either being financed or leased, then you may be required to carry full coverage. This would need to consist of collision and comprehensive, with a minimum deductible set to $500 in most cases.

If you are involved in an at-fault accident, your insurance company is required to assign the percentage of fault for both parties involved. Insurers are required to assign the percentage of blame or fault for the all the drivers involved in an accident. Providers determine this based on the "Fault Determination Rules" located within the Insurance Act. Please note that you could be considered At-Fault even if you are considered Not-At-Fault by the police.

Pleasure use is when you are not using the vehicle to commute to and from work. If you are not commuting to work, this will usually lower your insurance.

A lapse in insurance is gap where a driver didn't hold insurance during this time. There are many types of lapses which may affect your premium that include; but are not limited to :

  • Lapse due to cancellation for non-payment.
  • Lapse due to driver's license suspension.
  • Lapse due to policy being cancelled for misrepresentation or non-disclosure.
  • Lapse due to not owning a vehicle or being out of country for an extended period.

Driving experience outside of North America is not recognized by some insurers. If you happen to have a license outside of Canada & USA, most of the major providers will consider you to be a new driver until driving experience is gained in within Canada.

You can report a car insurance claim by calling the number listed on your insurance pink slip or by calling us during regular business hours. If you are involved in an accident, file a report within 24 hours of the crash.

You car insurance deductible the amount you have agreed to pay in the event of a loss when you make a claim. The amount you pay for your insurance is calculated based on it and many other factors.

No, the insurance company is more concerned in who will be driving, rather than who's name the vehicle is registered in.

Yes, only when they have successfully completed the graduate licensing program from G1 to G2. Please contact your broker once they have been awarded with a G2 license to have them added as a listed driver on your insurance plan.

Any moving violation will stay on your driving record for a period of three years from the conviction date, not the offence date. In respect to accidents you caused, they will stay on your driving record for a total of six years.