Jun 22, 2020
Writing An Insurance Cancellation Letter With Samples
Writing an insurance cancellation letter can be an intimidating process. Are there certain steps to follow? Do I need to write one to cancel my insurance? What should I include in it?
The following outlines what to include in cancellation letters, tips for writing them, and sample letters for you to reference.
Do I Need To Write A Cancellation Letter?
Yes. A cancellation letter is commonly required by companies for drivers to cancel.
What Do You Need To Include In Your Insurance Cancellation Letter?
The following information should be included in your letter when you cancel insurance :
- Your name : You must be a policyholder to cancel.
- Policy number : Double check to ensure your it is correct on the letter.
- Your address and contact information : This can be used to follow up with you.
- Company name : Name the insurance company, not your advisor.
- The current date : The date when you are writing the letter.
- Cancellation date : Provide a specific date for the changes to take effect.
- Reasons : Provide a reason for your cancellation.
- Stop payment or refund request : Request the insurer stop automatic payments immediately if you pay monthly. If you paid in advance, request a refund for the remaining balance.
The above applies to the cancellation of all types of insurance.
How Do You Write An Insurance Cancellation Letter?
Here are some tips for writing an the letter :
- Keep it simple : A one-page notice of cancellation will do. Get to the point. There is no need to elaborate in detail reasons for cancellation or to express dissatisfaction with their services.
- Include all required information : Make sure to include all required information by your insurer for cancellation notification.
- Be polite, but firm : Write in a polite, yet firm tone
- Proofread : Re-read your content to ensure all information is correct.
- Sign the document : Sign the document by hand.
- Confirm the address : Confirm the location to mail it before sending.
Sample Insurance Cancellation Letter
To help you write a letter for cancellation, we’ve created a sample you can reference below :
Please note that these templates are here to help you get started. However, it’s crucial to use the template as a guide and not copy it directly. Customize the template to meet your specific purpose.
Sample Auto Insurance Cancellation Letter
This sample provides you with an example of what it should look like. Customize it for your specific purpose and your personal information : Sample Car Insurance Cancellation Letter
Sample Home Insurance Cancellation Letter
This sample home insurance letter of cancellation provides you with an example of what it should look like. Customize it for your specific purpose : Sample Home Or Rental Cancellation Letter
Letter of Cancellation FAQs
- Phone calls and emails are not sufficient : Most insurance companies require a letter of cancellation.
- Avoid miscommunication : Getting the details of your changes on paper reduces miscommunications between you and your insurer.
- Create a record of cancellation : A letter gives you a record of your intention to cancel your insurance.
Cancelling requires you to follow the proper steps. The first step is to contact your insurer. Inform them of your plans to cancel. At this point, you will likely be asked to submit in writing your intentions to cancel.
Important Tip : Even if your insurer does not request an cancellation letter, it is a good idea to send one so you have a record of your request.
Before sending your letter, take time to compare car insurance quotes to ensure you do not have a lapse, and you are always protected.
You can contact your insurer to see what information they require for one of these letters and if they have a sample you can use.
We have some sample letter templates you can use also :
Have More Questions About Cancellations Letters?
There are multiple ways you can write a letter outlining the cancellation. If you have questions about the process, don't hesitate to contact us today. We are happy to help you explore your options and help you make the switch.