Jun 22, 2020
Writing An Insurance Cancellation Letter With Samples
Writing an insurance cancellation letter and cancelling your policy can be intimidating. Are there certain steps to follow? Do I need to write a letter to cancel insurance? What should I include in a cancellation letter for insurance?
The following outlines what to include in insurance cancellation letters, tips for writing a letter to cancel insurance coverage, and sample auto and home insurance cancellation letters for you to reference.
Do I Need To Write An Insurance Cancellation Letter?
An insurance cancellation letter is commonly required by Ontario car insurance companies to cancel coverage. If you plan to change coverage, a letter to cancel insurance is likely needed. Cancellation of your insurance policy requires thought and planning.
What Do You Need To Include In Your Insurance Cancellation Letter?
The following information should be included in your insurance letter of cancellation :
- Your name : You must be a policyholder to cancel.
- Policy number : Double check to ensure your policy number is correct on the letter.
- Your address and contact information : Can be used to follow up with you.
- Insurance company name : Name the company, not your insurance broker.
- The current date : The date when you are writing the letter.
- Policy cancellation date : Provide a specific date for cancellation to take effect.
- Reasons for cancellation: Provide a reason for cancelling your policy.
- Stop payment or refund request : Request the insurer stop automatic payments immediately if you pay monthly. If you paid in advance, request a refund for the remaining balance.
This is applicable to the cancellation of all types of insurance coverage – car, home, life insurance.
How Do You Write An Insurance Cancellation Letter?
Here are some tips for writing an insurance cancellation letter :
- Keep it simple : A one-page notice of cancellation will do. Get to the point. There is no need to elaborate in detail reasons for cancellation or to express dissatisfaction with your service or coverage.
- Include all required information : Make sure to include all required information by your insurer for cancellation notification.
- Be polite, but firm : Write in a polite, yet firm tone
- Proof read : Re-read your letter to ensure all information is correct.
- Sign the letter : Sign the letter by hand.
- Confirm the address : Confirm the location to mail your cancellation letter before sending. Contact your insurer if necessary.
Sample Insurance Cancellation Letter
To help you write a letter we’ve created a sample insurance cancellation letter to reference below :
Insurance Cancellation Form Template
A note about insurance form and letter templates - an insurance cancellation letter template can help you with writing. There are a number of websites that provide templates to follow. However, it’s important to ensure that you use the template as a guide and not copy it directly. Customize the template to meet your specific purpose.
Sample Auto Insurance Cancellation Letter
This sample car insurance cancellation letter provides you with an example of what your letter should look like. Customize it for your specific purpose : Sample Car Insurance Cancellation Letter
Sample Home Insurance Cancellation Letter
This sample home insurance letter of policy cancellation provides you with an example of what your letter should look like. Customize it for your specific purpose : Sample Home Or Rental Insurance Cancellation Letter
Insurance Cancellation Letter FAQs
Here are some additional questions and answers about insurance cancellation letters :
- Phone calls and emails are not sufficient : Most insurance companies require a letter of cancellation.
- Avoid miscommunication : Getting the details of your policy cancellation on paper reduces miscommunications between you and your insurer.
- Create a record of cancellation : A letter gives you a record of your intention to cancel your insurance policy.
Cancelling your insurance requires you to follow the proper steps. The first step is to contact your insurance provider. Inform them of your plans to cancel. At this point, you will likely be asked to submit in writing your intentions to cancel your coverage.
Important Tip : Even if your insurer does not request an insurance cancellation letter, it is a good idea to send one so you have a record of your cancellation request.
Before sending your coverage cancellation letter, set up new insurance coverage to ensure you do not have a lapse in insurance coverage. This will ensure you are always protected.
You can contact your insurance provider to see what information they require for a cancellation letter and if they have a sample letter.
We have some sample letter templates you can use also :
Have More Questions About Insurance Cancellations Letters?
There are multiple ways you can write a letter outlining the cancellation of an insurance policy. If you have questions about insurance cancellation letters or how to cancel your policy, contact ThinkInsure us today. We are happy to help you explore your insurance options and switch coverage.
Here Are Some Other Articles You May Be Interested InThings To Know Before You Cancel Insurance
Demerit Points In Ontario
Collision Insurance Explained
A Guide to the Ontario Graduated Driver's Licensing System
What Are The Cheapest Cars To Insure?
How Much Does It Cost To Own And Drive A Car In Canada?
<<Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule In Ontario - SABSWhat Is A Letter Of Experience For Insurance?>>