Jan 23, 2024
How to make an emergency kit for your car
All drivers need to have an emergency car kit readily available. Severe weather conditions, such as winter storms or excessive heat, contribute to many roadside emergencies yearly.
According to Statistics Canada, more than half (59%) of vehicle owners had an emergency supply kit for their vehicles. Being prepared is crucial for road safety, along with having an active car insurance policy. No one wants to find themselves stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, a dead battery, or any other problem.
This blog post will explore the benefits of having an emergency car kit for roadside emergencies, and guide you on where to purchase the necessary supplies.
Three key takeaways for emergency car kits:
- Emergency car kits are easily customizable to your climate and seasonal driving conditions.
- Kits can help keep you safe after an accident by using safety cones or wearing extra warm clothes.
- Bad weather can happen anytime – an emergency kit can ensure your safety while you wait for better conditions.
Click below to jump to key points:Benefits of an emergency car kit
What do you need in a car emergency kit?
Where to buy an emergency car kit
Benefits of an emergency car kit
Investing time and effort into preparing a well-thought-out emergency car kit is crucial for ensuring your safety in unexpected situations. Moreover, it contributes to the safety and well-being of all passengers in your vehicle. It's better to be prepared in advance and stay safe on the road. By doing this, you can enjoy the peace of mind of being ready for whatever the road may throw at you.
- Peace of mind: Having a well-equipped emergency car kit in your vehicle can give you a feeling of security. Whether dealing with a minor inconvenience or a more serious situation, having the appropriate tools and supplies can be very helpful.
- Time and financial savings: A well-stocked car emergency kit can be a lifesaver in case of common issues like flat tires, dead batteries, or minor engine problems. It can save you time and money, especially when you can't get immediate roadside assistance.
- Safety: In case of an accident or breakdown, the most important thing to remember is safety. Emergency car kits typically contain reflective triangles, road flares, and first aid supplies, which can assist you in remaining visible and providing essential medical attention until professional help arrives.
- Versatility: Creating a custom emergency car kit that fits your needs and your region's climate is essential. This can include warm clothing, water, and tools for winter driving.
- Your policy: Consider your options for Ontario car insurance - emergency car kits can help you with practical needs, but without enough coverage to meet your needs, you could miss out on financial support and protection. Consider OPCFs and adding additional options such as comprehensive insurance.
What do you need in a car emergency kit?
Now that we have discussed the significance of having an emergency car kit let's dig into the essential items you should include. The contents of your kit may vary depending on your area, weather conditions, and personal choices, but here is a list to help you get started:
First aid kit:
- Adhesive bandages
- Sterile gauze and dressings
- Antiseptic wipes
- Pain relievers
- Tweezers and scissors
- First aid manual
- Screwdrivers (flathead and Phillips)
- Pliers and adjustable wrench
- Tire pressure gauge
- Duct tape
- Jumper cables
Vehicle repair and maintenance:
- Spare tire and jack
- Lug wrench
- Tire repair kit (patch kit or tire sealant)
- Tow rope or tow strap
- Portable air compressor
Visibility and signalling:
- Reflective triangles or road flares
- High-visibility vest
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Emergency whistle
- Blankets or emergency sleeping bag
- Warm clothing (hats, gloves, socks)
- Hand warmers
- Rain poncho or waterproof jacket
- Snow brush and scraper
- Small shovel with handle
- Bag of abrasive material (sand, kitty litter)
- Washer fluid, anti-freeze
Communication and navigation:
- Fully charged portable phone charger
- Paper map of your area
- Emergency contact information
- List of important addresses (hospitals, police stations)
Hydration and nutrition:
- Bottled water (replace regularly)
- Non-perishable snacks (granola bars, nuts, energy bars)
- Compact, calorie-dense foods
- Multipurpose tool
- Fire extinguisher
- Basic hygiene items (tissues, hand sanitizer)
- Notepad and pen
To ensure that your emergency car kit is effective, it is important to maintain and customize it regularly. Review it every six months and update its contents, replacing any expired items and adjusting the kit based on your changing circumstances. Be sure to tailor your kit to meet the specific needs of your region and any potential challenges you may encounter on the road.
Where to buy an emergency car kitAfter recognizing the importance of having an emergency car kit, the next step is assembling or purchasing one. Many retailers offer pre-packaged emergency car kits that include various essential items. Check out the following options.
- Automotive retailers: Specialty automotive stores often carry emergency car kits. Check with well-known retailers such as Canadian Tire or Princess Auto, or visit their online platforms.
- Outdoor stores: Stores often carry durable, weather-resistant emergency supplies for car kits.
- Online marketplaces: Platforms like Amazon and Walmart, offer a wide selection of emergency car kits with various features. Read reviews and choose a kit that suits your specific needs.
- Local auto repair shops: Some local auto repair shops may assemble custom emergency car kits or offer recommendations on essential items to include.
Emergency car kits are an essential part of safe driving in Canada
Be sure to realize the importance of an emergency car kit (or car insurance!) before you're stranded on the side of the road. Investing in a safety kit today will help you prepare for unexpected situations while driving. It's a proactive step towards ensuring your safety and the safety of others on the road. You can stay confident and efficiently handle any situation with the right tools.
So be prepared, stay safe, and drive confidently, knowing you have the necessary tools to manage whatever comes your way.