Feb 20, 2020
What You Need To Know Before Taking The G2 Driving Test
Ready to get your G2? Have a child who’s ready to take the next step in the graduated licencing process? Preparation is essential to pass the G2 drivers test. Have you been practicing your driving? Did you complete driver training? Is your knowledge of road rules and signs up to par?
Here you’ll get an overview of what you need to know before taking your G2 driving test. You will learn about the G2 test, how to book, requirements, costs, and tips for passing. Get answers to frequently asked questions about the G2 driver’s licence test.
What Is The G2 Road Test?
The G2 road test in Ontario is the first of two road tests in the graduated licencing system. You need to pass both to become a fully licenced driver in Ontario. Its official name is the G1 Exit Road Test. Class G2 road test, G2 test, and G2 licence test are other common names for this test.
The G2 road test takes approximately 20 minutes to complete. It assesses basic driving skills you will need to drive in the city. You will not drive on 400 series highways during the test.
Transitioning From G1 to G2 – Are You Ready?
Making the step from G1 to G2 is a big one. It’s important for drivers to make sure they are ready before taking the road test. Not sure if you’re ready? Ask yourself :
- How much have I driven?
- How many total hours have I driven with my G1?
- Did I complete driver’s education?
- Do I know the rules of the road?
- Am I confident in my driving abilities?
- Do I need more time to practice?
- Are there certain skills I need to improve?
Confident you are ready? Then it’s time to book your G2 road test.
How Do You Book The G2 Test?
The G2 road test booking process is simple. You will need the following information :
- Your Ontario driver's licence number.
- A preferred date and time.
- A preferred location to take the test.
- Alternative location preferences.
3 Ways To Book Your G2
You can do G2 online booking, book over the phone, or in person. Book your G2 road test appointment :
- Book your G2 test online through the DriveTest website.
- By phone at 647-776-0331 or 1-888-570-6110.
- In person at any DriveTest Centre.
Need to cancel or reschedule your road test? You must give 48 hours’ notice to avoid a cancellation fee.
Ontario G2 Road Test Checklist
What Are You Tested On To Pass The G2?
To pass your G2 road test, you will need to demonstrate basic driving skills and knowledge. Instructors will test your ability to follow the rules of the road. You need to show safe driving behaviour at all times. During the test, the instructor will provide you with verbal directions. Follow their cues.
Here is what you will be tested on during your road test :
- Did you fasten your seatbelt?
- Starting the vehicle – releasing the hand break
- Turning – using your turn signals
- Traffic lights
- Passing vehicle – using signals and shoulder check
- Driving in the passing lane
- Driving through controlled intersections
- Parallel parking
- Reversing safely
- Overall awareness – being aware of dangerous conditions
- Visual checks of your surroundings
- Emergency stopping
- Three point turn
- Forward parking
- Reverse parking
- Obeying posted speed limits
- Use of handbrake
How Much Is The G2 Road Test Fee?
The class G1 licence package includes the fee to take your G2 road test ($159.75). If you are unsuccessful in your first attempt you can re take the test. The class G2 road test to earn your G2 licence is $53.75. If you pass the test you will need to pay a $90 licencing fee.
Note that your prepaid G1 licence package fees are valid for six years from the payment date.
G2 Test Requirements
What Do You Need To Bring To Your G2 Test?
There are a number of requirements drivers need to meet to do the G2 road test :
- You’ve had your G1 licence for one year. 8 months with completion of a driver training program.
- G1 drivers licence.
- Prescription glasses or contact lenses (if applicable).
- Check in 30 minutes prior to test to complete registration.
- Your vehicle must be free of defects.
What Happens If I Fail The G2 Road Test?
Lots of people fail their first attempt at getting their G2. It’s estimated that 30-45% of drivers fail the G2 road test on the first attempt. If you fail, and your G1 licence is still valid, you can book a G2 retest.
If your G1 licence expires, you will have to start over again. You’ll need to pass the knowledge test and pay the test fees again.
Can The Examiner Stop Me From Taking Or Finishing The G2 Road Test?
Yes, your driving test examiner has the authority to stop your road test or refuse to start the test if :
- There are issues with your vehicle.
- Registration and plate sticker are not up to date.
- They suspect you’ve have been drinking or have recently used drugs.
- They can stop the test if they deem your driving skills not good enough to complete the test.
G2 Road Test Tips
A few good G2 test tips can do wonders. Use these G2 driving test tips :
- Arrive early : Arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment to check in. You don’t want to feel rushed right before your test.
- Make sure car is working : Make sure your car has no issues prior to the test. Check the lights, ensure you have a full tank of gas, and the wiper fluid is full. Your vehicle needs to be free of mechanical issues.
- Know the vehicle : It’s common for drivers to borrow a vehicle for their test. Know where the emergency light button is. Know how to use the handbrake. Adjust the mirrors to your liking. Have a good overall feel for the vehicle. You want to feel as comfortable as possible when driving the vehicle.
- Bring your driver’s licence : Don’t forget to bring your driver’s licence, identification, and method of payment.
- Book the test in advance of licence expiration : Book your road test well in advance of expiration. This will give you time to re book a road test if you are unsuccessful.
- Relax! Calm your nerves : If you have put in the work to prepare, you are ready.
G2 Licence Extension
Can I Get An Extension On My G2 Licence?
A G2 Extension in Ontario is possible. Is your G2 is about to expire? Can’t book a road test until after your licence expiry date? Service Ontario will extend your licence until the day of the test.
After this, if you fail your road test, you will have to re start the licensing process.
If your G2 licence expiry date is coming up, there is a way to renew your G2 licence in Ontario. You can renew your G2 licence by retaking the G1 road test again. Once you pass, you will have your G2 for another 5 years.
What Happens If My G2 Licence Expires?
If your G2 licence expires, you cannot renew it. You will have to reapply as a new driver. You will have to re take the knowledge test to get a G1 licence.
G2 Test FAQs
Have more questions about the G2 test? Check out these common questions :
The G2 road test is the easier of the two. It tests basic driving skills and knowledge. There is no highway driving requirement and it is shorter (about 20 minutes).
If you purchased the G1 licence package, you’ve paid for one G2 road rest attempt. So no, you don’t have to pay for it. If you are unsuccessful, you will have to pay for each additional retest.
You can book a G2 test within 8 months of getting your G1 if you complete driver training. You will need to show proof of completion from an MTO approved driving school.
It depends on the type of mistakes made. One major mistake could be grounds for failure. You could make a few minor mistakes and still pass the test.
Your G2 road test will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. This is standard regardless of the location you take the test.
It costs $53.75 to retake your G2 road test.
Yes, you can use your own vehicle for the test. You can also use a car from a driving instructor, parent, friend, or even rent a vehicle. The vehicle must be safe and fully operational. Vehicles are not available through the MTO or Drive Test centres.
No. You do not go on the any 400 series highways. You may go on 80 km/h roads.
Other Articles That You Might Be Interested InOntario G1 Driving Test Requirements, Costs, Questions And FAQs
Benefits Of Driving Schools Or Drivers Ed For Young And New Ontario Drivers
Car Insurance Savings Tips & Discounts For New And Young Drivers
What Is The Cheapest Car To Insure?
The Total Cost To Own And Drive A New Car
Average Car Insurance In Ontario By Month, Age And Gender
<<Alberta Driver's License System GuideWhat You Need To Know About Texting And Driving In Ontario>>