Feb 6, 2020
High Car Safety Ratings Will Help You Save On Insurance
Are you driving the safest car? Are you in the market for a new vehicle? Safety is an important consideration when buying a vehicle. It’s also a factor that can affect your car insurance rates.
Check out the IIHS list of the safest 2019-20 models to drive and learn about the safest cars to drive.
The List Of The Safest Cars In 2019
What are the safest cars in Canada? What are the safest car brands? Cars of all makes and models qualify as having top safety ratings.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is the definitive source for determining the safest cars to drive. Using tests to assess vehicles accident avoidance and how it protects occupants they identify the safest vehicles to drive.
Here is the list of IIHS Top Safety Picks for 2019 :
What Are The Safest Small Cars?
Prefer to drive a smaller car? Here are some of the top rated for safety in this class :
- Honda Insight 4-door sedan
- Hyundai Elantra 4-door sedan
- Kia Forte 4-door sedan
- Kia Niro hybrid 4-door wagon
- Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid 4-door wagon
- Kia Soul 4-door wagon
- Subaru Crosstrek 4-door wagon
- Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid 4-door wagon
- Subaru Impreza 4-door sedan
- Subaru Impreza 4-door wagon
- Subaru WRX 4-door sedan
The Safest Midsize Cars
Is a midsize car more your style? Here are the safest vehicles in this class :
- Hyundai Sonata 4-door sedan
- Kia Optima 4-door sedan
- Mazda 6 4-door sedan
- Subaru Legacy 4-door sedan
- Subaru Outback 4-door sedan
- Toyota Camry 4-door sedan
The Safest Midsize Luxury Cars
Shopping for a safe luxury car? Check out these models :
- BMW 3 series 4-door sedan
- Lexus ES 350 4-door sedan
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class 4-door sedan
- Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan
- Volvo S60 4-door sedan
The Safest Large Cars
Only a few large cars made the list of safety to drive :
- Kia Stinger 4-door hatchback
- Toyota Avalon 4-door sedan
The Safest Large Luxury Cars
Enjoy large and luxury vehicles? Here are the top safety performers :
- Audi A6 4-door sedan
- BMW 5 series 4-door sedan
- Genesis G70 4-door sedan
- Genesis G80 4-door sedan
- Genesis G90 4-door sedan
- Lincoln Continental 4-door sedan
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class 4-door sedan
What Are The Safest Small SUVs?
SUVs are popular option for all types of drivers. Need something for the city? Here are the safest :
- Audi Q3 4-door SUV
- Hyundai Kona 4-door SUV
- Hyundai Tucson 4-door SUV
- Lexus UX 4-door SUV
- Mazda CX-5 4-door SUV
- Subaru Forester 4-door SUV
- Toyota RAV4 4-door SUV
- Volvo XC40 4-door SUV
The Safest Midsize SUVs
Looking for an SUV with a little more room? These are the safest in this class :
- Hyundai Palisade 4-door SUV
- Hyundai Santa Fe 4-door SUV
- Kia Sorento 4-door SUV
- Mazda CX-9 4-door SUV
- Subaru Ascent 4-door SUV
- Volkswagen Tiguan 4-door SUV
The Safest Midsize Luxury SUVs
Drive an SUV with all the bells and whistles? These have it all from a safety perspective :
- Acura RDX 4-door SUV
- BMW X3 4-door SUV
- BMW X5 4-door SUV
- Hyundai Nexo 4-door SUV
- Lexus NX 4-door SUV
- Mercedes-Benz GLC 4-door SUV
- Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class 4-door SUV
The Safest Large SUVs
Not too many options for safe large SUVs in this class :
- Audi e-tron 4-door SUV
The Safest Large Pickups
The Ram stands alone in the pickup category :
- Ram 1500 Crew cab pickup
Criteria For The Top Safety Picks
To qualify as a IIHS Top Safety Pick vehicles must meet these criteria :
- A Good rating in driver-side small overlap front, passenger-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests.
- An acceptable or good rating in the passenger side small overlap front test.
- An advanced or superior rating in the front crash prevention test.
- An acceptable or good in the headlight rating.
How Does Car Safety Help Lower Insurance Rates?
The vehicles in this list of the safest cars all have one thing in common. They can help you lower your Ontario car insurance rates. Safer vehicles are less of a risk. Vehicles with a higher safety rating are less of a risk. How?
- Fewer collisions : Collision avoidance sensors provide drivers with assistance to prevent accidents and to adjust driving to avoid objects.
- Less theft : Safety features such as theft prevent, engine shut off, and tracking capabilities make it less likely for vehicles to be a target for thieves and reduce car theft.
- Fewer injuries : High quality airbags, collision impact reduction design, and accident avoidance helps to reduce and prevent injuries.
FAQs About The Safest Cars
Have more questions about the safest cars to insure. Check out these commonly asked questions :
There are many great vehicles that share very similar safety features and ratings. Any one of the top safety picks on the IIHS list is safe. But, the key determining factor that makes a car safe is who is driving. Choosing one of the safest cars and then driving with safety in mind will make your vehicle one of the safest on the market.
Subaru is regarded as the safest car brand. It is also known for having affordable car insurance rates. Subaru’s are consistently considered one of the safest car brands year after year. They have award winning safety features to help keep drivers safe while driving or if they get in an accident.
The Safest cars for young drivers are vehicles they are comfortable driving. In general, it’s recommended for teen drivers to have lower horsepower and bigger vehicles. Any vehicle that appears on the top safety list is worth considering for your teen driver.
Since most teens drive used vehicles, it’s also important to choose a vehicle that is known for reliability.
Some vehicles are less safe than others. In general, smaller and faster vehicles are less safe to drive. When considering vehicles, look into reliability, recalls, collision testing performance, and the overall protection the vehicle provides if you were involved in an accident.
Here Are Some Other Articles You May Be Interested InWhat Are The Most Reliable Cars And Car Brands?
Parking Lot Accident : Who's At Fault? Driving Record, Insurance And Other FAQs
No Fault Insurance : How Does It Work In Ontario And Other Provinces?
A Guide to the Ontario Graduated Driver's Licensing System
A Simple To Follow Guide For How To Buy A Used Car
<<Car Ownership In Ontario - Transfer Vehicle Ownership, Cost, Lost Permit & FAQsAverage Car Insurance In Ontario By Month, Age And Gender>>