How Is Home Insurance Calculated?
Getting a quick estimate will give you a baseline to use when budgeting for insurance. A quick way to do it is to use this formula :
Total Home Square Footage X Per-square-foot Building Costs In Your Area
You can get more detailed as well. Answering these questions can help you get a good estimate of your needs. Here is how to calculate home insurance prices :
- What is the cost to rebuild your home?
- How much are your personal belongings worth?
- Do you have a mortgage? What coverage does your mortgage lender require?
- What type of coverage do you need based on local perils and threats?
- What are your liabilities?
- Where you do live? What is your postal code, neighborhood, and city?
- What type of dwelling do you reside in? Doe you live in a house, townhouse or condo?
- How many families reside in your dwelling?
- How old is your property?
- What is the construction type?
- What is your primary heating source? Is it gas, furnace, electric?
- Any past claims?
- How long have you been insured?
Home Insurance Calculator Terms You Need To Know
There are a variety of insurance terms you’ll see when using a calculator. Some you may not be familiar with. But don’t worry, we give you a definition of them here :
- Premium : The amount you pay for your insurance.
- Replacement cost : This is the amount it will be to replace your home if its completely destroyed. Replacement cost is different for each home.
- Actual cash value : This is replacement cost minus depreciation.
- Endorsements : These are extra types of coverage you add to your plan.
- Deductible : The amount you pay out of pocket when you file a claim.
- Depreciation : A calculation of the cost of an item as its value declines over time.
- Perils : An event or threat you are protected against. For example, fire or theft.
Tips To Get The Most Out Of Home Insurance Calculators
You can use one anytime. But, there are some important times in particular when the tool comes in handy :
- When buying a home : Have your eye on a house? Do you know how much it will cost to insure before you put an offer in? Did you recently purchase one? Review premiums for any property you have on your radar.
- You’re moving : Moving to a new place? Review policy costs so you can budget effectively.
- It’s renewal time : Your annual renewal is your opportunity to search for quotes and look for new ways to reduce what your monthly premiums.
What Are The Limitations of Home Insurance Calculators?
A home insurance calculator is a good tool to get a rough estimate of how much you will pay. But they do have some limitations you need to consider. While they give you an idea, they do not provide you with the whole picture.
But speaking directly with our brokers will give you more detailed estimate. Our experts will ask more specific questions about your history and insurance needs. They can also help you identify more ways to save. So, use a calculator to get an idea and speak to our experts to get the plan you need at the best rates.